Friday, October 7, 2011

Explanation of the name Bumpus McGee

No, my real name is not Bumpus McGee. The name on my birth certificate is actually much more common and I wouldn't be surprised if you have met 100's of people with the same name.  Bumpus McGee it is just a childhood nickname that my father has been calling me for as long as I can remember. To be honest, I am not fully aware of how the name Bumpus McGee came to be. I only understand where the "Bump" part of Bumpus came from: before my crawling/walking days, my parents used lay me down on the couch, bed, ground, etc and I would just lay there completely still in such a manner that my Dad says I looked just like a bump on a log. So that is where the Bump nickname came from. To be able to understand where the whole Bumpus McGee name came from, you are going to have to ask my dad. And then maybe you can explain it to me.

1 comment:

  1. your parents could not agree on your name in the hospital & so you went home called 'baby boy sutton'. your father told your mother that if you went home without a name, he would call you BUMP :-) in a jesting way. & so for 9 days you went un named. & on day 10. TA DAHHH: Named perfecting- You were. & versions of BUMP remain to this day

    ReplyDelete