Saturday, October 8, 2011

A trip to the Kunsthistorisches Museum

This past week I took a trip to the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Vienna's Museum of Art History) as part of my Art History course and I was completely blown away. The place is absolutely HUGE. If it weren't for my art history professor leading the way, I would have definitely got lost on several occasions and probably would have had to spend the night there. The Kunsthistorisches Museum was opened in 1891 at the same time as the Naturhistorisches Museum by Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria-Hungary. The purpose of the two museums was to create a public setting for the art collection of the Habsburg Empire to be showcased. Not to be outdone by the gorgeous artwork featured in the two museums, the inside architecture is filled with marble, stucco ornaments, gold-leaf, and paintings.

Ceiling Painting

Crazy stucco statue with marble in the background
The purpose of this week's trip to the Kunsthistorisches Museum was to visit the Baroque Art and Art of the 18th Century exhibits. Some of my favorite pieces are pictures below. *I do apologize that the pictures are not very clear as no flash photography was allowed and the rooms somewhat dark.

Roman Gladiators


Conversion of Saulus to Paulus

This is what it looks like when my little sister gives my little brother a "hug"

"Hunters in Winter"

The story of Eden

Who doesn't like Cupid?

This painting was absolutely huge. I would guess 30 feet tall?

So was this painting.The lady to the left can give you some perspective.
Not too shabby. They allow to view the art in comfort, or take a nap. Your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment