Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Sports Teams

MLB: Oakland Athletics- I was born to a father who loves himself some Oakland sports. So it was only natural that I also grew up an A's fan. I was always intrigued by how Billy Beane could put together such a competitive squad year after year despite not having the financial freedoms that most of the teams in the MLB have. Oakland's roster typically features young and raw talent which can be fun to watch, but also depressing to watch if the season does not pan out as planned (which has happened the past several years). Hopefully the A's can pick their game up soon and become a consistently competitive team again.

NFL: Oakland Raiders- Despite the fact that I was born to a die-hard Oakland Raiders fan, I did not grow up a fan of the Raiduhs. My first team was actually the Green Bay Packers and you can blame that one on Brett Favre. But as the years went by, I slowly became a Raiders fan to be more like my pops and growing up with neighbors who were a die hard Raiders family only sped that process up. After enough teasing from my dad and the neighbors, I dropped the Cheese Heads and joined the Black Hole. Despite not growing up a Raiders fan, I would say that the Raiders are now my number 1 team that I pay attention to the most. I feel like with the recent passing of the great Al Davis, the organization how been rejuvenated and is playing the most competitive football the Raiders have showcased since the 2002 season. I am feeling good about this season, and the overall future of the RAAAIIIIIDDDUHHSS!

NHL: San Jose Sharks- I will give the credit for me becoming a Sharks fan to my Uncle Gil. He has been a Sharks fan ever since they joined the NHL and he was the one who showed me how intense, exciting, and fun the sport of hockey can be. Besides the Warriors (who don't have a real large presence in the Bay Area), this is the only team that Bay Area fans can agree on meaning that the Sharks are the only team that all my friends can agree on. The only thing the Sharks need is the flipping Stanley Cup Title already!!!

NBA: Golden State Warriors- Like I mentioned before, the Warriors aren't THAT big of a deal when it comes to the sport's scene in the Bay Area. But the team is usually young and athletic which makes the Warriors super entertaining to watch. I think the fact that the last 2 minutes of an NBA game takes an average of 30 minutes to complete ruins any desire I have to watch the Warriors. But since they are form the Bay, I do consider myself a Warriors fan and will support them when there is nothing else to support.

NCAA: University of Arizona Wildcats- I love watching NCAA sports because of the passion and desire that college athletes display every game, all game long. But I never really had a college team I rooted for when I was younger. Two close friend's (a set of brothers) of my family went to U of A to play football under Mike Stoops. They did not get as much playing time as they hoped to but as soon as the oldest brother of the two became a Wildcat, my father and I immediately became Wildcat fans. BEAR DOWN

Some other teams I root for on the side: Stanford (NCAA), Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL), L.A. Clippers (NBA), Florida Marlins (MLB), Green Bay Packers (NFL)

The teams that I ALWAYS root against: SF Giants (MLB), UCLA (NCAA), Anaheim Ducks (NHL), San Diego Chargers (NFL), L.A. Lakers (NBA)

3 comments:

  1. You forgot the Dallas Cowboys in your root against file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has almost nothing to do with anything except that it happened at the Oakland Coliseum http://youtu.be/_qsB6SCdfmQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, the Cowboys don't even exist except for when it just happens to be Thanksgiving and I am forced to watch them.

    ReplyDelete