Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Art Class is THE Best

I will be the first to admit that I am not the biggest fan of art nor am I anywhere close to ever considering myself an "artist." But I am thoroughly enjoying my art history class this semester, much more than I could ever imagine enjoying an art class. There are several reasons to why I am enjoying the art history class so much and I have listed them below:

- The class never meets in a typical classroom. The first few times we met as a class we gathered in the professor's own apartment, where we discussed the early beginning of art over tea and cake. Since those first few meetings, we have met in various art museums around the city of Vienna where we actually get to personally look at the pieces of art we are discussing as a class. This makes the class much more intriguing for me as compared to only looking at pictures of the art in a book.
- Our art professor may be the nicest lady I have ever met in my life. She has never given off a hint of frustration if no one offers to answer a question, has never gotten upset with those who routinely show up lately, and to be honest I don't think we could get mad if she even wanted to.
- I know I call it an art history class but I think it would be better to describe it as an art history group. As there are only a total of 4 students in the course. This makes the course setting much more personal as we all get to have our opinions heard and we all get a say in how the class is run, to a certain extent.
- As our program director says, there are never any bad days in Vienna. And with that, there are never any bad "art" days in Vienna so even when we feel extremely tired and worn out as we walk through the various museums, we still manage to have some fun. Whether it be people watching, cracking jokes, or as my roommate decided to do- pretend to be an employee of the museum and share information about the artist or art pieces with other museum guests.
- This art history course also includes architecture, and I love me some architecture. Vienna is the perfect location to study architecture because there are building as old as hundreds of years and as new as yesterday. So one can see a vast variety of architecture by just walking around the streets of Vienna.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am enjoying this art history course more than I would have ever enjoyed taking an art history course in the States, mainly because I get to personally see the pieces of art we are studying and are sometimes allowed to take pictures for memories. Below are some pictures I took today while visiting the National Viennese Art History Museum:


Angel Gabriel breaking the news to Virgin Mary





An Old Man by Rembrandt

Self Portrait by Rembrandt

A Man by Rembrandt

A Woman by Rembrandt

Obviously Captain Hook

                       When I mentioned in an earlier post that this place is huge, I meant it. Each little square is a room that averages about 350 square feet. And this is only the second floor of the museum

No comments:

Post a Comment