Thursday, October 13, 2011

Random Thoughts updated

I am currently sitting in the quad of the University of Vienna's Administration Building and these are my current thoughts about Austria and about Life as a whole. The updated content is in BOLD.


-Austrians still like to drink
-Austrians still like to smoke
-Austrians still do not care about the minor details such as fashion and personal hygiene.
-I am now 22 years old, and it still hasn't hit me. Hopefully the next time I go watch a R rated movie and they don't card me, then it will hit me.
-The German language was not as difficult to learn the basics as I was expecting, but now that we are in our third week I feel completely lost.
-It still has not hit me that I am in Vienna, Austria yet. I think there are several reasons why this is so, the main two being that 1) Austrians speak German, English is a Germanic language and uses the same alphabet so when I look around I recognize all the letters on signs but have no idea what they mean and 2) Vienna is over 70% immigrants and being from the melting pot country of USA this is nothing new for me.
-I hope the US Dollar gets stronger and the EURO gets weaker, or a combination of those both would be the best possible situation for me. (Yes, I realize this is very selfish of me since I am living in Europe). Overall, since we have been here the EURO has been getting weaker but lately has been making a rise.
-I don't get why some people choose to take the stairs out of the subway station when most stations are equipped with escalators. I prefer to let technology do all the work for me so I can enjoy the sights and sounds as I cruise on up. Although I do have to say that the smartest individuals are those who walk, or run, up the moving escalators. I call those people over-achievers. I still let technology do all the work for me.
-Austrians like to drink, a lot
-Austrians like to smoke, a lot
-It rains in Vienna, a lot. It hasn't really poured yet, but just consistently rains.
-I love all the walking and being outdoors for long periods of time that comes with living European. With the temperatures slowly dipping down into the 50's and 40's, a lot less walking around outside is being done.
-Austrian drives use their car horns like it is their job. They would definitely fit in perfectly driving in New York City. Horns are annoying.
-My favorite aspect of the student dorms I am living in is the fact is has a sauna. I like saunas. I still love me some time in a sauna.
-I wish US cities could feature the type of amazing transport system that Vienna, and other major European cities, can boast. It would make life in the US much easier for many individuals in many different aspects of life. I am still blown away by the public transportation here.
-The architecture that I have seen in Vienna, Salzburg, and Munich (Germany) is absolutely amazing. Not everyone in the group is as impressed with it as I am, but I guess that might be because I am a son of a contractor. I love how several buildings on the same street can feature various types of architecture. This makes walking around a lot more enjoyable for me.
-I miss my family. A lot.
-I miss my friends. A lot.
-I miss being able to watch NFL Football on Sundays. We found a couple places to watch the games on Sunday nights, but one place called 1516 is super rude and Champions Sports Bar is super expensive = Pick Your Poison.
-I love all the museums and parks that can be found in Vienna. We have yet to visit two museums that are anything a like. We have been to a museum of applied arts (featuring laces, dishes, chairs, cups, etc), a furniture museum, contemporary arts museum, and natural art history museum just to name a few.
-I love the weather so far that we have had in Vienna. Lots of sun, a fair amount of rain, and some crisp mornings. I no longer like the weather here in Vienna. It is supposed to be sunny all week with highs of low 50's. Coming from San Diego, CA I can not grasp how it can be sunny but still only 50 degrees.
-I am dreading the coming snow and the time that the freezing weather comes. Yup, still not looking forward to it being that cold!
-I need to go grocery shopping. Just got back from the store with some goodies and snacks for the next couple of days. So I should be able to survive if a random snow storm comes and we have to stay inside.
-Vienna's theme park is one of the coolest and most entertaining things I have ever seen. I have yet to ride the rides, but just walking around the few acres of entertainment had me in awe. Hopefully I get a chance to visit this theme park again and ride the rides before it gets shut down for winter.
-Oktoberfest in Munich was more than I could have ever imagined. It was basically thousands and thousands of fun loving people (aka basically hippie-like) who love to drink.
-Scoring from Oktoberfest trip        OKTOBERFEST: 1    ANDREW:0  I think I have finally recovered, 3 weeks later.
-Did I mention that Austrians love to drink and smoke. A lot.
-Skype makes being away from all my friends and family so much easier.
-I need to find an internship for next semester and a place to live for when I get back to San Diego, CA.
-And lastly, I miss you!!!!!! A lot.  

2 comments: